The Monaco - Gibraltar
Political Solution for "Quebec Independence"
Recent alterations in
MRC political demarcations make Quebec independence possible
On 1 January 2002,
Quebec City and 12 other municipalities of the Communauté
Québec were merged into to the new Quebec City. This new
"megacity," which is
divided into 8 boroughs.
- The 2002 MRC council mergers (and changes in political
demarcations in the Quebec City region as a whole) were mandated
provincial government as part of an indirect ('back door') move
create an independent Quebec state.
- These changes in local political demarcation have (in effect)
returned Quebec City to a political demarcation arrangement that
very reminiscent to the way the region was organized some
- The new MRC (regional council) demarcations can be used to
an independent Quebec state of Gibraltar dimensions (if not
solve Canada's post 1931 political problems relating to Quebec
The new Quebec state should occupy this area of land
with the exception of Levis, no
more -- no
MRC in the above image means "Metropolitan Regional Community",
is analogous to NZ or Australian cities that have merged (by state
federal request) but where the local council still maintains some
zoning (etc) powers.
This is end of the geographical part of the proposal.
Political, economic etc matters
be resolved either along Monaco or Gibraltar lines
Quebec Province: Impacts and fixes
- The provincial government decision making center will have to
moved, probably to the Montreal region. A new provincial
building will have to be built.
- Quebec Province will have to become a sub-contractor (utility
provider) for many of Quebec State services -- like water and
- Quebec Province will need to be compensated for the changes in
its tax base and changes in the geography of its governmental
- Quebec State will probably need to be provided with
CAD to ease its transition into a state. Quebec Province should
exempted as much as possible from these costs -- but should
of the transition costs over 20 years.
Banking & Finance
- Initially bank account routing digits will be in the Canadian
format, but within 5 years Quebec will transition to its own
bank account digit routing format.
- Banking regulation and oversight should evolve along
and Swiss) lines of governance. Canada must assist Quebec along
lines for up to 20 years after independence to ensure a smooth
transition and banking system stability.
- Canada and Quebec should have symmetrical citizenship rules
between themselves separate from the existent rules for all
nations. It must be noted that Quebec and Canada occupy physical
next to each other and are so closely linked in ways that the US
Canada and Canada and France are not.
- In order not to disadvantage each others permanent residents,
uniform 2 years of residence to Citizenship route must be
- All Quebec laws [and applicable government regulations] as a
matter of protocol and practice should
be appealable to the Canadian Supreme Court. In this way the
Canadian Supreme Court can act as the UK Privy Council did for
Canada up until 1940.
- The Canadian Supreme Court
(with respect to Quebec State) would end up having a similar
the Privy Council in the UK Commonwealth legal
- A permanent enlargement of the Canadian Supreme Court [of 2 or
persons, 1 ex officio] may be necessary to achieve this. Some
could be covered by Quebec State.
- Quebec should strike a deal with the UK, allowing one case per
year to be
appealed to the UK Privy Council every year -- specifically
that deemed unresolved or unresolvable by the Canadian Supreme
First Nations Land Settlements
- Quebec will be in the CAD zone, but will have the right to
notes that indicate separate nation status.
- The currency arrangement should be based on the UK's Scottish
- The sum of 500,000,000 CAD is to be awarded to the First
Nations tribal entities affected by this change (the creation of
- This money transfer its to take place over a time frame of 25
years starting from the 1st day of the existence of the new
- A joint Quebec-Canada "Land Claims Tribunal" should be created
resolve all residual land claims issues related to the creation
new nation for a time frame 60 years.
- The Canadian rules for incorporation, although a huge
over the US's are a mess that ordinary people [and small
find hard to use to their advantage.
- Quebec must evolve incorporation rules that make it a hotbed
offshore [and to an extent on-shore Canadian] incorporation.
- The Quebec income tax rate should initially be the same as the
Province of Quebec -- but after 2 years of independence Quebec
be free to create its own taxation schemes.
- Over time Quebec should and must evolve a tax scheme that is a
mixture of European (Isle of Man, Jersey, Gibraltar, Swiss,
Andorra, Malta) and Caribbean (Bermuda, Cayman Islands,
- The new state of Quebec should work with the Canadian
to make it be less important and necessary for Canadians to move
money to these other offshore lotions for taxation reasons
- Quebec must distinguish between "Tax Residency" and
with respect to double taxation treaties.
- Quebec should not take part in the North American telephone
numbering scheme but have its own [2 digit] ITU (International
- Quebec should be able to choose its own HDTV transmission
but with respect to traditional AM / FM most technical
should be coordinated with the CRTC, and where occasionally
the US FCC and ITU.
- Quebec should have its own Civil Aviation authority, but most
Civil Aviation functions applying to multi-passenger airlines
smaller passenger transport should be farmed out to Canada.
- Quebec will have its own car plates and road transport
authority, like Monaco does.
- Quebec should be permitted to have a Coast Guard, but no Navy
- A limited Air Force should be permitted, with elite Special
Forces to handle emergencies that may occur in the immediate
- Quebec should be a member of NATO, but in NATO's outer ring.
would entitle it to contribute resources but personnel.